Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Grudgingly Headed Back to Site

Well, I've got to head back to Sare Fode this morning/afternoon, as I have now been gone almost exactly a month, and my family kept anxiously calling me and asking when I was coming back. The did this all through training, even though I had told them before and every time they re-asked, 'I'm coming back when February's over, at the beginning of March.' I'm not looking forward to going back and hearing all the little guilt trips - 'You really spent a while there', 'you didn't call enough', etc. Oh well...after a week or so I'm sure I'll be back into the swing of things.
But that brings up another aspect that I'm not looking forward to - telling them that I have to leave again several times this month - this Friday I'll have to come back to Kolda for our house meeting; on the 15th I'll leave for Thies again for a USAID pilot farmer training (Shames' counterpart is one of these pilot farmers, and they are each supposed to have a network of nearby volunteers to help them set up their demonstration sites, etc.); then on the 20th I'll head back down here with all the Agroforestry volunteers in Senegal for our Ag. Fo. yearly summit, which will last a couple of days at the house here. I'm looking forward to that one, because we'll get seeds and stuff that I need. It feels like a lot of 'training' to me, even, and I can only imagine it is frustrating for my family and community to see me run off so much... I hope I come off as knowledgeable enough to justify all the training!

No comments:

Post a Comment